Friday, February 19, 2010

What is the fascination with Lil Wayne?


That’s right! I asked it! But please, before you get out the stake and wood planks, I think I might understand.
Now, there have been many great hip-hop giants among the ranks. Rakim, KRS-1, Kool G Rap (check out his songs on you tube: "I'll Street Blues". You might just add him to your list) to Nas and Biggie, up to more current artist such as Jadakiss, Jay-Z, Common and the immortal 2-pac, so why does Lil Wayne fall into the ranks. To answer that question, let's step back a second and take a look at his career.

Certainly, Lil Wayne is not a new comer to the hip-hop game. He joined cash money records, headed by Baby just in his teens. “Get is how you live” was his first albums in 1997 with The Hot Boys, consiting of Juvenile, Turk, B.G. and Lil Wayne, along with other solo appearences along the way. His debute albulm came out in 1999, "Tha Block Is Hot".
After gaining higher popularity and fame with two other albums in the early 2000s, Lil Wayne released his next solo albulm, "Tha Carter".

Upon the release of his debt solo album in 2004, "Tha Carter", he has shaken the rap world up with his razor sharp wit and unique delivery. "Tha Carter II", soon followed, but it was his third album, naturally entitled "Tha Carter III" that stapled him as a undeniable nitch in the hip-hop world, selling and astounding 400, 000 units in it’s first day, placing him in an inevitable arms reach of 1,0000,000 copies by it’s first week, this from a man who recorded over 1,000 lyrics and hooks, giving him the self proclaimed title of “greatest rapper alive!.”.

I think one word spearhead this augment upon the masses favor…
“Style!”

Lil Wayne, during his interview on 106 and park probably said it best. “We in the studio every day, so where’ thinking of our carer every second!”

But for those who are still uncertain, here are some of his lyrics for added measure.

"Even if the sky is falling down like she supposed to be,
She gets down low for me,
Down like her temperature, ‘cause to me she too raw degree,
She crawl all over things,
I got that girl from overseas,
Now she my miss America,
I can’t help be her souljah pleaser,
I’m fighting for this girl,
I’m in battlefield love,
Don’t it look like baby cupid sent his arrows from above,
Don’t you ever leave the side of me,
Indefinitely, now probably, and honestly get down like that, be proud of me,
Yeahhhhhh
"
(Song from Down: Jay Sean ft Lil Wayne)

In truth, I must admit that there is something about Wayne’s igmatic character, which simply forces one to take notice! It’s as if each time he makes an appearance the spotlight shines just for him. Now, lyrically, you might be hard pressed to get a deep philosophical lesson and/or message from his lyrics.

But the art of his work, much like his commercial appeal, is not found in the message but the delivery.

Lil Wayne has shaken up the rap world with a set of hits and lyrical word play that has made one statement loud and clear, that he is coming strong and here to stay

Whether that charm carries him through the years, only time will tell, but I think it’s safe to say that Lil Wayne is probably the most commercially marketable artist of this era, and for many more to come, so if you see me bobbing my head by the bus stop, murmuring

Ok, hello its da martian, space jam Jordan’s,
I want this sh-t forever wake up and smell the Garden,
fresher than the harvest, step up to the target,
if i had one guess than I guess im just New Orleans
,”...

then no, I haven’t lost my marbles, I just got caught up, neck deep in the phenomenon suitably named Lil Wayne.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment